Sunday, January 13, 2008

Southern Comfort Food

With multiple January birthdays with some women I work with at church, I was part of a birthday lunch to a restaurant called the Blue Willow Inn. It is just south of us in Social Circle, GA and has been named a top southern cooking restaurant. Since it was a buffet, I got to try a bit of everything (opting not to have the cooked collard greens and fried chicken liver) but I did have: chutney, fried green tomatoes, "real" chicken and dumplings, great biscuits, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, caramel yams, baked mac and cheese, butter beans (most of those stayed on the plate), coconut cake, peach cobbler and custard pie. OK, let me just add that I took SMALL portions of everything :) and I still didn't eat any dinner later! I really liked the chutney and I'm attempting my own coconut cake tonight.
Robert held down the fort while I was gone, which included taking Jake to a birthday party and running to the store for me with the rest of the kids! What a guy! He was so exhausted that he had to stay home from church today (oh - no, that is because Logan is sick).
Speaking of southern comfort food, I hosted for my book club this month and one of the members brought over this very yummy and MOIST cornbread. Jake, after tasting it, claimed half of it for himself and asked me how to make it and when was I going to make it (I've already asked for the recipe, which Robert requested as well). Alyssa says she likes dry cornbread better - I don't know where she comes from sometimes!

1 comment:

Genene said...

Hey Becksteads!

It's great to read about what you have been up to.....I have considered getting a site of our own. Enjoy the southern weather for me.

Genene