Saturday, February 2, 2008

Tree Roach Season Already!

Robert came home, last night, not felling well. He went to bed early and the kids and I watched a movie. Later that night, as I was getting ready for bed, this is what I saw in the shower . . .



I held back the scream I felt rising inside me. I have had tree roach experiences before (see below), but I thought of my sick husband sleeping just beyond the door and withheld the icky horror I felt from expressing itself verbally. This was the BIGGEST tree roach I had ever seen! That is a Sam's Club bottle of conditioner, not just the regular size!
I started breathing deeply, looked around the bathroom and started making plans to be rid of the roach! There was nothing! I kept visibly shaking off the icky feeling and thought it best to get a sturdy shoe and start crushing . . . another shudder!
I quietly opened the door and by the light of the bathroom started looking for a shoe. Robert stirred and said, "what's up?" "There is the biggest tree roach I ever saw in the shower! I'm looking for a shoe to crush it!" I whispered.
Robert started laughing, "it's just a rubber bug. You're so funny. You were going to use a shoe?"
I still was NOT going to touch it and Robert went to get it and show me. I did not yet find the humor in the incident and it took me a good ten minutes to get over it, Robert chuckling until he fell back asleep. And here I didn't want to scream or bother him because he was sick!
I came to find out that Robert had gotten some rubber bugs at his conference in Atlanta (which was a while ago) and was waiting for the best time to place it. I'm sure he was really hoping for a morning discovery when I didn't have my contacts in. And, even this morning - without my contacts in - I got a little icky feeling every time I saw it on the counter, even knowing it was fake.
Alyssa was in cleaning the bathroom later this morning when I hear, "MOM! MOM!" I thought for sure Logan had fallen into my toilet the call was so urgent! No, just another girl screaming about a bug! I called Robert at work and told him he got a two for one. He had another good laugh.

Post Script for those who want to hear my tree roach background:
My first experiences with tree roaches were Houston. All of which I screamed loudly and had someone else take care of the bug - and I'm perfectly OK with that response, so you can laugh at me and think I'm silly or you can feel my horror as you sympathize because you would do the same thing!
1st - half way through my shower, without contacts in. Let's just say that Robert bolted out of bed because he thought I had critically injured myself. He told me later he did not like being woken up to a blood curdling cry when it was only a roach!
2nd - opening up a cupboard in my classroom. I scared the student in class and had a brave boy take it outside (he laughed, but I didn't take off points his grade for that - or maybe they just negated the points I would have given him for taking care of the roach for me).
3rd - I woke up in the middle of the night and brushed something out of my hair. A large brown blob landed on the sheets beside me. I realized what it was, screamed and brushed it hard across the room, hearing it hit the closet door. Robert again jumped out of bed, over me (since that is were the scream came from) and wasn't pleased about being woken up like that again. But, since he was up I had him get rid of it. Hey, it was in my HAIR!

We had a reprieve living in Utah, but have them occasionally now that we are in Georgia and have trees close to the house. I have calmed a bit since Houston. I rarely scream and will take care of them myself - when Robert isn't around.

5 comments:

Kara said...

I would have killed Blake if he would have tried something like that!

In Houston I use to catch them under tupperware bowls and leave them for when Blake would get home from the lab! Can't stand them!

Mary Mitchell said...

That is not even funny.

The Mangums said...

Oh, the lovely tree roach. I caught one just this morning! The joys of living Texas :)

It is true, you do get desensitized to them...I now find myself talking to them as I cup & toss them. (Not nice things of course, but talking to them nonetheless!) But I would freak if one crawled on me when I was sleeping!!!

Amber said...

I totally know where you're coming from. I get queasy every time I see a roach and stay nervous for about an hour in anticipation of seeing another one.

We finally started pest control last Summer and it has made all the difference. I can now manage to live in Georgia as long as the roaches stay outside!

Coach said...

YIKES!!
Reminds me of living in Houston!!
Having one in your hair *!* is enough to make even an entomologist scream...maybe in delight...but still scream!

Love ya,
Cousin Annemarie