Fern Lorea McGarry Hatch
November 6, 1915 - April 20, 2009
My grandma passed away early this morning. So many memories have been flooding my mind for the last few days, as I knew she wasn't doing very well. These picture were taken when we visited her last summer.
When I was about 10 years old, I went for a walk with my grandpa and we saw a man hole cover on the road with the year 1915 on it. He said, "that is the year I was born." Ever since then I could remember how old he and my grandma were (they were born the same year) - that is better than my remembering my own children's birth years!
November 6, 1915 - April 20, 2009
My grandma passed away early this morning. So many memories have been flooding my mind for the last few days, as I knew she wasn't doing very well. These picture were taken when we visited her last summer.When I was about 10 years old, I went for a walk with my grandpa and we saw a man hole cover on the road with the year 1915 on it. He said, "that is the year I was born." Ever since then I could remember how old he and my grandma were (they were born the same year) - that is better than my remembering my own children's birth years!
Growing up we lived about 3 hours from my grandparents, in New York. We visited throughout the year. My grandma was a wonderful cook. I looked forward to her canned ham and potato casserole - we each hoped we would be picked to turn the key to open the ham. I loved her Parker House rolls and her pie crusts are the only ones I liked. Thanksgiving always brought name cards for your place and "slush" for an appetizer (I have never been able to make slush like grandma). I remember the smell of her house, having store bought cereal for breakfast (we didn't get store bought cereal very often when I was younger), the tin of old fashion filled candies on the top of her refrigerator, Velveeta Cheese, chicken noodle soup, and popcorn balls.Grandma was soft spoken and would have us speak softly to her. I remember her helping my little brothers and sisters with their letter sounds and speech (she probably did it for me too) - coming down to their level so they could watch her form the sounds and then copy. I found myself using her same techniques with my children.
Her lullaby of "bye-o, bye-o" to the tune of the hymn "Lord, We Ask Thee Ere We Part," calmed and put to sleep her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I have a hard time not sing "bye-o" in my head whenever the hymn is song in church.
A couple of times, she and grandpa came watch us when my mom went with my dad on a business trip. She made us do our homework, but we got to watch TV.
A little while after my family moved to Missouri, my grandparent moved there as well, about 45 minutes from my parents house. I was in college by then and later married and living in different places, but I always thought of and looked forward to the time I would visit home and could spend some time with my grandparents while I was there.
Whenever you left after a visit, my grandpa and grandma - then after my grandpa died, just my grandma, would stand by the front door and wave goodbye until you were out of sight.
I could write a novel about her, she was such a wonderful, beautiful lady. This short bit of memories will have to do.
I'm grateful for the life she lead, for the daughter she raised to be my mother, and for the influence she has had on me and so many people. I'm grateful for my testimony of the sealing power of the temple and eternal families. She is back with her sweetheart whom she has missed for 3 1/2 years. And I know, that while we sorrow here and will miss her presence, that there were shouts of joy and greetings for her on the other side.
3 comments:
Such a beautiful tribute! She seems like an amazing grandmother. And Natalie looks exactly like her! (at least in the picture where she's sitting right next to her...)
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What a neat lady--and those pictures are priceless! I enjoyed reading your tribute to her.
p.s.--thanks for the heads up on that healthcare legislation!
Ah Bye-o bye-o is a magical song. I will never forget the day I realized that. I had just sent my mom back home, Matt was at work, Linda was at work, and I was alone with Sam for the first time. Sam started crying and I tried everything I could to calm her down. 2 hours later(by this time I was almost out of tears my self) Linda called and sang bye-o ( I couldn't remember the tune and the one I was doing it to didn't work).Sam fell asleep instantly, 1300 miles away over the phone that song worked it's magic.
Post a Comment