Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"But, I don't love it!" - Part II

You might recall a post last month about Logan's new favorite phrase. I need to share, if only for my record, a funny thing that happened last night. (I promise to post about our trip, but this first.)
It might be a "you had to be there," or "it's better verbally told instead of reading about it," but here it is.
We make the kids eat at least one spoonful of whatever we are having for dinner. Last night we were only trying to get Logan to eat one forkful of the meat and bean portion of our creamy taco salad. That way he'd eat more than just chips and cheese. I even put cheese on the forkful, but all he could say was "but I don't love it!"
Then the bribery started. Nothing worked. Finally I said that if he didn't eat his bite I got to cut his hair.
I've been wanting to do that for a long time and haven't gotten around to it and he hates getting his hair cut. And, you might not think he needs a hair cut, but I like short hair on my boys, especially around the ears.
The timer was set, in which he had to eat his bite, and he happily sat in my lap until it went off.
We went up to my bathroom, I put him in the tub (easier clean up), and got the clippers out.
When he saw me put the comb on the clippers he cried out: "BUT I DON'T LOVE THAT!"
I told him he could go down and eat his meat.
"BUT I DON'T LOVE THE MEAT!"
"Then I get to cut your hair." And I turned the clippers on.
Even more terrified he cried, "BUT I DON'T LOVE THAT!"
After a couple of back and forths - I did give him a chance to eat the meat and not get a hair cut - I started cutting his hair. I told him that if he kept lifting his shoulders I would have to cut it all short or he could relax and let me move his head around and I'd only trim up the sides. . . . He got a close cut.
After, he let me know that Jake didn't need to get his hair cut because Jake ate his meat.
Robert tried more bribery to get him to still eat the bite. But he would have none of it and told Robert, "no, I got my hair cut."

1 comment:

JenB said...

hee hee - we Blackhams also like SHORT hair on the boys (although the older ones don't like the buzz anymore, then want some in the front).

A while back I watched a movie and Gray asked me if it was good ... I responded "I didn't love it" (I think I came up with it independently, but I'm not positive, can't remember if it was before or after I read your first post). Anyway, Gray thought that statement was SO funny, it's been used again and again in our home too.

I have a hard time making my kids try food ... as I won't (and never would when I was young, my mom finally just gave up on me).