The weather is beautiful and I'm finding some time to get out and work in the yard.
I've been substitute teaching for the last few months, and I've found it hard to plan my days when I could get called in for a sub job most any morning at 6am.
About a week ago I found myself with a day with nothing planned and no call to sub. I decided to drive by the park with free mulch and see if they had anything worth taking.
They did - and three hours of digging later the mulching around our tree was done!
It was a project that had been on my list for quite a while. A month or so ago, Robert had to brought me enough rocks to finish the full circle (it had been 1/2 finished since the fall). I had finally finished digging in the ring of rocks (I had to sink them so the lawnmower could go over them.)
I've been substitute teaching for the last few months, and I've found it hard to plan my days when I could get called in for a sub job most any morning at 6am.
About a week ago I found myself with a day with nothing planned and no call to sub. I decided to drive by the park with free mulch and see if they had anything worth taking.
They did - and three hours of digging later the mulching around our tree was done!
It was a project that had been on my list for quite a while. A month or so ago, Robert had to brought me enough rocks to finish the full circle (it had been 1/2 finished since the fall). I had finally finished digging in the ring of rocks (I had to sink them so the lawnmower could go over them.)I found myself with another free day the next week and decided to transplant my strawberries. Over the last couple of years I had just let them grow at will and they were all clumped up and small. I lost a bunch of them to the heat last summer. The strawberries have also been hard to work around (including weeding) because they have been so bunched I couldn't do much digging around them. So, part of my transplanting project was digging in compost after taking them out and before arranging them all pretty.
They look really nice now - hopefully it will help them out this season.
They look really nice now - hopefully it will help them out this season.
You see in my strawberries, my rosemary bush - pruned, this year, to about half it's size. I love my rosemary bush. It makes weeding my garden smell wonderful.The rosemary started flowering last fall, for the first time, and has continued. I love the small light purple flowers.
I made a quick push to get some cooler weather veggies in so we can get harvesting before it gets to hot. My peas are up.
And we've started our tomatoes and squash (in little containers to be transplanted later).Fall is my favorite season, but I love spring - starting my garden and seeing things grow and flower.
I heard on a gardening show that it takes up to 5 years to really get blueberries going. This was very encouraging to me - our blueberries started as sticks three years ago and they haven't really produced yet. I'm excited by the way they flowered this year and need to get my deer netting up before they really start developing and become too tempting for the wildlife in our woods.


No comments:
Post a Comment