Alyssa was asked to Homecoming and that means a dress . . . a nice formal, shorter dress, but not too short . . . modest and not amazingly expensive.
After looking on line at many options, I found a couple of dresses at the local thrift store. One was $8 and one was $5!! They were both too long and strapless, but alterable - with my minimal sewing skills I remember my mom teaching me. (I can sew a straight line really well and a couple of other things.)
After looking around at more options, to no avail, Alyssa chose the cream with black lace.
Here is what we started with.
A good friend, who is great seamstress, showed me a hemming trick to get that little rolled-over hem easily and smoothly. It worked wonderfully.
First I hemmed up the lining.
Then the lace.
(The blue dress in the picture is the other one I found at the thrift store. I can't wait to alter that one - for a later date and with adjustments to the process I learned doing the black one. I'll do a similar wide shoulder strap again.)
Then I took some fabric and made a pattern for doing some wide shoulder straps and used the skirt material, I cut off, to make them.
A little bit of gathering and deciding were to attach them.
And voila! . . . Well, not quite yet.
I did have to fix the hem a bit and I still need to tack in the sides of the straps in the back that are bulging out a bit . . .
but I'm so excited it turned out!!
Look for Alyssa in the dress, for real, next week when I post pictures of Homecoming!
No comments:
Post a Comment