Saturday, December 5, 2009

Robert's New Toy

For an early Christmas gift, Robert got a wood lathe. It has added a whole new dimension to his woodworking hobby. Among other things, like pens and roasting sticks, he's been turning necklace pendants. He makes them out of all different kinds of wood. They are really cool! All his work is really cool.
Our neighbor owns a bead shop in town and we went there to get supplies to make the necklace. The front of her shop is a consignment area for local handmade crafts. She said she would love it if Robert tried selling his necklaces there.
Here are three of them on display.The one on the bottom is a really dark wood and you couldn't really see it well close up in the picture, but the other two are shown in close-up below.
Each type of wood has such a unique and beautiful color and grain. Alyssa and I fight over who gets to wear one to church. I have always won out - probably because I plan my outfit around one and tell Alyssa that the ones he has are really to big for her. He has made a few smaller ones now, but we still only have one necklace at home to use to interchange the pendants.
We found out today that one has sold! Maybe it will be a nice side venture.
Either way I'll have a great collection.

1 comment:

Catherine Hess said...

wow! those are so beautiful! very impressive.