Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Traditions

We have continued, from Robert's family, the tradition of celebrating Dutch Christmas and put our wooden shoes out on December 5th for Sinterklaas. In preparation for his coming we set up our Christmas tree the Monday before for Family Home Evening.
Robert put on the first ornament, before heading back into work and the rest of us finished the decorating.As we took out our decorations and put them on the tree I remembered back to when I was younger and pictured the Christmas tree I would have when I was older. The perfect lights, the matching ornaments and tinsel that went along with some red and gold theme. Our tree is far from what I dreamed of, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Most of our decorations are homemade, given to us as gifts, or picked up sporadically here and there. I found some great s'more ornaments one year that I love. The kids, minus Logan (he wasn't born yet), all have a snowman with their name on it - and I couldn't find them again to add Logan later. Some Robert got while he was on his mission.
All are treasured.












We have two buildings, Robert's grandma gave us as gifts a couple years in a row, to start out our Christmas town. It hasn't ever grown past that school house and fire station, but that is enough to provide joy and hours of sitting and staring and pretending.
Our nativity setis one I got as a gift from a Secret Santa when I was teaching in Houston - a dollar store item, but one so sturdy it doesn't even have a chip even though it is well played with throughout the season. Baby Jesus is very small and often gets lost, but he is always found for Christmas Eve and when we put our Christmas things away.
After we decorated the tree and spread things out throughout the house, we made some crafts. I love Oriental Trading Company! Even Logan could participate. Logan's and Jake's gingerbread cooks became Darth Mal (Jake's with the double light saber) and Darth Vader (Logan's - the light saber is not in use).
Alyssa found a great recipe for creamy hot chocolate and we ended the night with a cup full.
Logan is old enough this year to be excited for Christmas to come and for the ornaments to stay where we put them on the tree. Natalie, Jake and Logan even played "Christmas morning" one day - wrapping up their toys in blankets and giving them to each other.
I love this time of year!

3 comments:

Jimmy & Amy said...

Yep, I have the same Christmas tree dream, but since we don't have kids yet, it's able to come true :) I think that they have those s'mores Christmas ornaments in Oriental Trading Co, but if not there are some at amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=s%27more+ornaments&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4341807119&ref=pd_sl_3er5yhczov_b

Merry Christmas!

GeorgiaBecksteads said...

The s'more ornaments I found at Gardener Village (love that place and miss it) nice solid and heavy ones. So, thanks for the Amazon site - those are the ones. The ones from Oriental Trading are foam, fun crafts for the kids we did those a couple of years ago but we loose some every year.

The Mangums said...

Fun! I love the Gingerbread Sith..something my Jake would definitely do too!