Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simple?

About a month or so ago, the sprayer in my sink cracked and finally broke. You could make it work by pressing it with your palm, but only I could do it - the kids weren't strong enough. I finally decided a new one was in order. Robert said he didn't want to fix anything under the sink, but I figured I could do it. I got the new sprayer and looked at the directions - simple - it had lots of detailed pictures with labeled parts. It said that you should probably consider upgrading the hose for the sprayer as well. So, back to Lowe's I go for a "universal" hose. The directions with lots of pictures looked - simple.
Once I got to working under the sink I understood what Robert was talking about.
Who in their right mind designed kitchen sinks to have NO working room underneath for replacements/repairs. I seriously think it is a conspiracy with the plumbing industry! There was no way (no even slightly easy way) to get a wrench in there.
In order to disconnect the hose from the faucet attachment I finally cut the spray hose (I was replacing it anyway) - yes, I had turned off the water to the sink.
But, try as I might I could not get the 14 year old connection to budge. And - with the hose cut, I couldn't turn the water back ON because it would just drain out the hole.
So, for three days - yes - three days I was without water in my kitchen, as I tried a multitude of wrenches and finally found one that I could move fractions of an inch, switch sides and move a fraction of an inch, but still couldn't get it off.
Had I turned a "simple" $20 repair into a, worse case scenario, $300 whole sink replacement?
I cried.
Yesterday I tried one more time. I looked at fix it videos on line, over and over, and realized something - I had been turning the nut the wrong way.
Back under the sink I go and, a short time later, I had the hose out. YES!
But it was completely different than the end of my new spray hose that I was suppose to now simply attach.
Back to Lowe's and a wonderful person who helped figure out how to get the spray hose attached to my faucet (I had brought all the parts to make sure I got what I needed to first time).
He worked with different adapters and two little pieces later, one more run back to Lowe's for the rubber washer that was missing in my spray hose kit, some plumber's tape, and Robert putting in the last connections (the couple of times I tried it leaked) . . .
We have water!!!!
Robert is probably shaking his head at this post, but this has been a huge frustration to me this week. I couldn't quickly wash my hands at the sink as I prepared meals and bring water in from the bathroom was not fun. I had to finally trust my dishwasher to clean dishes and pans that were not pre-rinsed - at all! (So glad the water to the dishwasher is separate from my kitchen faucet!) I'm glad the dishwasher came through for me - even the lasagna pan. I'm so glad it ended up being a 'simple' repair and not a more complicated project.
I'm glad we have water!
Happy Day!

1 comment:

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

I feel you Roslyn- what seems like a simple fix around here always turns into 3 or 4 trips to Home Depot!!!! Glad you have your water back:) How did people live before running water?!?!?!