Thursday, September 20, 2012

Once Envisioned, Now a Reality

 Four years ago I saw a picture of a living room and I loved it! 
Yellow on top, red on the bottom, split by a chair rail.
This summer, I planned to transform my living room once the kids were back in school
- 6 weeks later it is DONE!
Here is before:
 And after!
In between was a lot of work, some waiting, and some frustration, ok more than just some frustration. But the room is done and it makes me happy every time I look at it or walk through.

Below is the in between stuff, if you want to read on.
 I think taping is one of my least favorite and most time consuming parts, and taking off the tape is one of the most frustrating - but it must be done, right?
 Once the priming gets going I get in a groove and become excited about what the room will be.
Since the crown molding was also painting, I had the added joy of repainting that as well. I do like it painted, though, so it was worth it.
 Below the room is primed and taped for the color divide. 
I also have the crown molding done.
I must have just taken a deep breath once I got the color done, because I didn't take a picture of that part except for this one when Alyssa wanted me to take a picture of her wearing a t-shirt her friend from Sweden sent her (the American flag t-shirt is very popular over there).
 I waited a long time for the chair rail - this was the most frustrating part to me. Almost there, but not quite finished.
The local Home Depot (where the chair rail I liked was) kept NOT having it in, even though a truck came twice and it was on order. I finally drove an hour each way to the next closest Home Depot where they did have it stock!
I got it painted and ready to go. Putting it up involved having a free evening along with Robert having a free evening - that took over a week as well.
 Robert and I went on many searches for furniture - our couch with the stuffing showing through the arm was exiled to the basement! We went back to square one with furniture a few times and I know where every furniture in a 60 mile radius is!
I finally made the purchase of the couch and accent chair (the green recliner will move downstairs once we get another chair to put there). I was so excited to have it delivered!
The chair rail went up this past Monday and and I finished final paint touch ups Tuesday.
 Things are back up on the walls and curtains are up!
 My area rug comes tomorrow, just in time for my birthday!
I'll add that picture later.
 I gave myself my birthday as my deadline to have the living room done! 
Deadlines are good.
Happy Birthday to me!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Lots of hard work into that project. It looks really nice! You inspire me to set a deadline and do a room around my house.