Monday, December 17, 2007

50 Hours

My brother Charles got married, last Saturday, to a wonderful girl, Suzie. I had the opportunity to attend the wedding and have a 50 hour solo trip to Utah, while Robert watched the children at home. I enjoyed every minute. I slept like a log (although I woke up at 4am, 6am Georgia time, but quickly got back to sleep). I showered without hearing Logan waking and crying through the wall. I visited with family and friends without keeping one eye on a child. I could go to bed late because it was only me who I had to get ready in the morning. I wasn't anxious at the airport or on the flights because there were no children to keep entertained or contained. I even switched seats with a guy (so he could sit by his girlfriend, who was sitting next to me) and he had a middle seat! As you could probably guess, I haven't been without at least one child for, I really don't know when - probably a couple of years ago when I went to the Books for Young Readers Symposium at BYU with my sister. Robert and I looked for homes in Georgia without any children, but that wasn't really a relaxing vacation trip.
My parents and all my nine siblings were at the wedding. It was so fun to get together and laugh and tease and remember. I stayed one night at my in-laws house and loved having a bit of an evening and a bit of a morning with them, in between wedding events. Nysje (my sister-in-law) and James (my nephew) came over Saturday morning as well and it was great to see them. I'll beat James next time at air-hockey! I wish I had more time so I could have seen others, but I Robert could only take off so much work.
I'm so happy to have Suzie in the family. My cheeks were hurting almost as much as theirs from smiling so much. I'm glad I was there for their special day. I'm glad Robert took care of the children for 50 hours so I could be there, especially since he had an eventful weekend while I was gone (see "Deer in the Headlights" entry).

There is no picture posted with this entry since I left the camera at home so Robert could take pictures at the ward Christmas party I missed . . . there aren't any pictures of that either :)

1 comment:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

How would that be to go somewhere without kids--and I totally understand how you would count up the hours. Amazing! Loved your e-mail card by the way. You and Robert still look as young as you did 5 or 6 years ago! Whatever you're doing--it's working. =) And wow Alyssa skipped the 4th grade?! I guess having a Chemistry teacher mom & professor Dad can really set someone up for being smart! It sounds like you are all doing great! We loved the update on your family!