Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sinterklaas

We have continued the Dutch tradition (from Robert's side of the family) of setting out wooden shoes, on December 5th, for Sinterklaas to fill. We set out water, straw and an apple or carrots for his horse. Each of the children have their own pair of wooden shoes, except for Logan - he borrowed Robert's. Alyssa woke up three times during the night wanting to know if she could go down to see if he had come yet (this started at 1am)! When it was FINALLY a decent hour (and I won't even mention how early it still was), I let her go down.
Sinterklass came! leaving treats and toys and clothes. He even found Alyssa's favorite Christmas book - that we hadn't seen since before the move. The children had their cereal and hot chocolate, Sinterklaas had left them, for breakfast and still made the bus to school. It was an exciting morning and Alyssa couldn't figure out why she was so tired by the time she got home from school. Everyone was asleep early that night!




2 comments:

Coach said...

The Dutch shoes are very cool! We set our regular boots & shoes out also!! My dad did that with us growing up. I wonder how many countries do that, too?

Your tree looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing. In a hectic world it is a joy to see that you guys have lots of love in your family. :)

Love your cousin,
Annemarie

TexasTwinsTwice said...

what an awesome tradition! I love those shoes--i remember reading about them in books when I was younger, so it's cool to see you guys actually have some! NEAT!