Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Odd Looks at Sam's Club

Sam's Club is about a 20 minute drive away and I try to only go every other week or so. I got some odd looks and comments at Sam's Club the other day and didn't realize why until I was loading my purchases into the van:

a package of toilet paper
a box of diapers
10 gallons of milk
and a case of hamburger

I also had some cheese, bar soap and a tub margarine.
The cashier and the man in line ahead of me asked if we really drank that much milk. I said yes, it is about a 1 1/2 week supply, half being Logan's whole milk. The man asked if there were anymore at home (I just had the two boys with me). I didn't realize they were probably wondering how I fit all that milk in the refrigerator, even college students living six to an apartment aren't that good - I freeze most of it. And the hamburger was $1.84/lb for 90% lean!! how can you pass that up! Sure it was the "case only" price, but after repacking it into quart zip lock bags and freezing it, I just figure I now have a year's supply of hamburger! Jake was amazed at the big long tubes the meat come in.
To me it was a normal (besides the hamburger) trip to Sam's Club. I guess it is not so "normal"!

2 comments:

Lara said...

10 gallons of milk!? Wow! Are you sure it's not Robert sneaking Logan's whole milk? (We only go through about 2 gallons per week.)

Amber said...

Great story! One small difference between Utah and Georgia....most people wouldn't have even noticed in Utah.

And I would have done (and often do) the same thing with the hamburger. When I find good meat on sale, I stock up. Frozen food storage is my favorite!