Last week Robert (meaning UGA) had Spring Break. The kids, unfortunately have Spring Break in April. They did, however, have last Friday off (teacher work day) so we made a last minute trip to Mexico Beach, Florida!
We have some friends who were going down and invited us to help fill up the beach house. A beach house right on the beach!!
We left Wednesday after school and got there very late. The kids, who had slept in the car, woke up early and couldn't wait to get on the beach. Even though the morning was cool and misty (the sun later burned off the fog) - the sand, shells, and water were perfect.
We left Wednesday after school and got there very late. The kids, who had slept in the car, woke up early and couldn't wait to get on the beach. Even though the morning was cool and misty (the sun later burned off the fog) - the sand, shells, and water were perfect.
Mexico Beach is right next to Panama City, FL - in the panhandle area. So, facing south we got both sunrises . . .
and sunsets over the water!
The beach was perfect! Even with some spring breakers, there weren't a lot of people on the beach in our area. Being in the gulf the water was warmer and waves calmer. And there were MOUNDS of shells!! Literally!! One older lady gave Alyssa a whole bunch and said that here you can take you pick of favorite shells and find buckets full! We brought home buckets full!
We had a sand castle contest the first day. Mine was a shell castle, where I lined the bucket with shells as I filled it with sand. I was a bit disappointed that they weren't so clearly visible when I dumped it over.
Robert suggested sprinkling water over the castle and it washed away the outside sand perfectly.
Robert found a real shovel at the beach house and used it to make a big pile of sand for the family sand castle. It was a climbing mountain and volcano for quite a while before being shaped.
And ended up being a sand face - of our favorite animated clay character, Wallace - instead of a sand castle, the nose, ears and mouth remnants of lava flows. So much water had been poured over the mound of sand when it was being used as a volcano that the sand had the perfect molding consistency.
Alyssa made a castle with moat and walls and a floor of shells and additional moat of shells to further ward off invaders.
The Graham group castle was made later in the day (the picture was taken later that evening when other beach goers - or probably just Avery - had gotten to it). They had a pile about as big as Robert's. The moat was of dual purpose - sure for the castle moat, but it also kept Avery from playing on the castle during construction. They even carved brick into the walls. I can't remember if any actual judging took place, but it sure was fun.
As I said before, the beach was perfect! Sunny, perfect air temperature (not too hot, not too cold)!Logan didn't care for the water (and I was all for that) but wore himself out playing on the beach. He was in sandbox heaven!
There were also birds to chase, boats to see and planes flying overhead (there is an Air Force base right there as well).
Jake had an equally fun time on the beach . . .
and had wonderful sisters who took him into the water whenever he wanted.
Alyssa and Natalie couldn't get enough of everything and had a hard time saying goodbye. It really was a perfect long weekend.
There was a pier just down the beach that you could access. We took a walk there
and later Robert got a fishing license and spent the afternoon with Joey, Natalie and Jake fishing.
OK, so the picture will not allow for any "fish" stories. The proof is in the pictures! but to hear Jake tell about the reeling in of his fish (the picture with Robert and Jake above), you would have thought he caught one as big as himself!
The last night we took a walk down to get ice cream. The kids got some souvenirs to bring home as well - and many memories. Thanks Rachel and Joey!
3 comments:
I love the pictures! It looks like everyone had a great time. What a fun way to spend your long weekend.
Oh how I miss the beach! What amazing pictures you have. I love the fog, sunset and sunrise. I just love the beach. Your castle with shells was AWESOME! I wish I had thought of that when I lived on the beach! So cool! SO COOL!
ooh, that looks loverly. Gorgeous photos!
Post a Comment