Monday, August 2, 2010

Canned Pumpkin is Seasonal?

The dog days of summer have hit.
Hot and humid.
For us it also means that school is starting soon
and trying to get in as much fun as we can before it does!
Since I've been freezing a lot of our garden, I was running our of room in the freezer. The biggest thing to get rid of was a turkey.
We invited some friends over for Thanksgiving in July!We had all the trimmings. Except pumpkin pie. Did you know that canned pumpkin is seasonal? I couldn't find it anywhere!
We went with a lemon meringue - which was very good. And now I know to stock up on canned pumpkin come November.

Natalie spent one morning planning a lunch cafe - menus, place mats, and rolls and coloring pages while you wait for your main dish.
We try to go to the river as often as we can.
And invite friends over as often as we can, too.
Our summer went by too fast.
Sure it's still summer, but we find that our life's year starts and ends with the first day of school.
We can't wait for it to come again.

2 comments:

JenB said...

I think we've found it here year round, Gray uses it in several recipes. We've got a few cans in our food storage :) Turkey dinner is yummy year round (I don't like pumpkin pie, so I would have preferred lemon anyway).

Stacey said...

canned pumpkin is seasonal this year only. there is a shortage. Last year a huge hail storm came through and ruined the pumpkin crop. Hopefully this year will be better.