Wednesday, September 22, 2010

8th Grade Fun

Alyssa has begun her last year of middle school.
She was elected a member of the student council and has been involved in Spirit Week this week.
Yesterday was Tacky Day. She had fun putting together her outfit.
I must confess that she got the idea for wearing shorts over her pants from a picture of me playing basketball, at church, when I was in Junior High - shorts over sweatpants, gotta love it (and no, I'm not putting that picture in this post as a comparison).She also just turned in her first science project. They are studying Chemistry this year, so I was really excited for her project.
They were to choose an element and do an informational brochure on the element and make a 3-D model of the atom.
She picked Arsenic.
At first she wanted to make her model with a rat trap for her nucleus and cheese bits (out of sponge) for the electrons. I told her that just because arsenic kills rats and rat traps kill rats that doesn't mean that arsenic = rat trap.
So she went with a different depiction and I was all for it!
She covered a popcorn box (floral foam inside) with a picture of rat poison.
Skulls around the box represent protons and neutrons.
And yes, those are rubber rats skewered and sticking out as the electrons!
(different colored skewers representing different energy levels, if you care to know)
Not your typical model of an arsenic atom, but so cool!
Logan was glad when it left the house.

No comments: