I understand the fear of a scary basement. I had those growing up - dark, maybe a little window here and there, clanking and popping noises made by who-knows-what. You raced down with your heart pounding and quickly did whatever task forced you there. Turning on a light made it a little better, but you still didn't spend more time down there than you had to.
Our boys, especially Logan, still have a fear of our basement
(unless they're getting hot chocolate packets or hot pockets). I don't understand this fear though. We have plenty of lights (with switches to turn them on before you ever have to enter the stairs or rooms) and three full sized windows because it is a walk out basement! But, the fear is there.
I often rejoice they that made it back alive when they return! But, they've never appreciated that.
Yesterday I sent Logan to get some toilet paper that is kept, not only in the basement, but, under the stairs! in the basement. He fussed that it was scary and he didn't want to go. I pulled the "if you just went without fussing, you'd be back by now," but he still wanted someone to go with him.
Natalie volunteered, opened the door, picked him up, and carrying him down the stairs said,
"Oh, spirits of the basement! Please accept the offering of my brother and eat him and not me!"
She continued with more gems, throwing in a scream here and there, and low and behold . . .
both of them came back alive!
Natalie was fabulous, but we'll have to see if Logan wants Natalie to go with him next time.
1 comment:
I don't blame them for being scared of the basement! When Sarah and I came to visit Natalie told us of a time when you caught a scorpion in your mouse trap down there. Yuck!
Post a Comment