Sunday, September 14, 2008

Soccer Games Begin

Soccer games began on Saturday! All three, within 2 hours (meaning I missed most of Natalie's game because I was at Jake's - Alyssa was with Natalie at her game).
Starting at 8:45am, it was still cool, cloudy and misty - even some misty rain at Alyssa's game at 10am. The sun came out on our way home and it got hot and humid. So, an early morning, but much better watching weather.


Jake's first game (I think the first ever for everyone on his team) was great - as all first ever soccer games (or any sport) are. As the first three teammates went out to start the game, Jake turned to me and said, "it's going to be hard to play with just one ball." At practice, of course, they each have their own ball. They also practice on only half a field, with one goal. One of the difficult things to overcome was kicking it into our own goal! I kept telling Jake, before he went in, "you kick it into THAT goal" - pointing to the one down field. I asked if they were going to switch sides at half time (enough goal confusion - we scored about three goals for the other team) - they didn't!


Jake, after taking a few minutes to get into the game and stop waving at me, did great. He scored two goals and made a great assisting pass.
Another team member had the black stickers to put under your eyes and Jake wore them the rest of the day. He was very excited to keep the sun from glaring in his eyes (did I mention the cloudy, misty morning?).

Robert took Jake from his game right to a birthday party and I took Logan over to watch the end of Natalie's game and then Alyssa'a (on the same field! yea!) When I got there Alyssa told me about the great break away and down field run Natalie made to score the team's first goal of their 4-0 win. Robert and I will have to take turns, this season, so each of us can see at least one of Natalie's and Jake's games - their games are always at the same time at different fields across the street from each other.


Alyssa played most of her game on defense and had some great plays in keeping the ball away from her goal. She got to play a bit of offense at the end and hopes to play a bit more.
Logan and I were great spectators for the games. I cheered, Logan ate and played. 10 minutes before Alyssa's game was over he wanted to go home. By the time I started packing up the chairs, he was crying to stay. We are looking forward to a great, fun season for everyone!

1 comment:

Catherine Hess said...

Wow! Looks like you are all staying busy! I bet you were more tired than the kids after going to all those games. It's so fun to read about what fun things you're family is doing. I hope you are all doing well! I miss seeing you guys (although we didn't see each other all that often before you moved...) but you are missed just the same. :)