Friday, July 2, 2010

Blueberries

I was planning on taking the kids blueberry picking and thought that I might as well make some jam with any blueberries left from last year. Robert went to get some, from the freezer, for his cereal and found there were none!
What perfect timing - we were going that morning!
I read Logan "Blueberries For Sal" the day before to get him excited for picking.
We tried out a new place - Buffalo Creek Blueberry Farm - it was fantastic!
A beautiful, quite farm with peaches, blueberries, and more.
The bushes were full of perfect, big berries.
I had been a little disappointed last year (at a different place), the blueberries small, not very good, and took a long time to pick.
Everyone got a bucket and there was a tractor ride down to the bushes.The picking was easy, even for Logan, because there were so many berries.We had a contest to see who could find the biggest blueberry (I won and for the prize I got to eat it).We helped fill the boys buckets - by pouring ours into theirs, and then filled Natalie's and so on.
For the first of July, it was overcast and cool, a perfect berry picking morning.
After about 1 1/2 hours (we didn't even realize it had been that long we had so much fun), some stained fingers, and taste tests, all our buckets were filled.
I hope 4 1/2 gallons will get us to next year.
We might need to go back again before this season is over.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

yum! can you send some our way please?