Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It's a Jungle Out There!

I love July in my garden.
We harvest daily (or every other day if I'm being lazy) and the plants are so big there is really no point in weeding, yeah!
Our tomatillo plant, yes that is just one, looks more like some invasive shrub with pretty flowers - are you suppose to prune these things?Our cucumbers are fabulous and the beans hide from me like the peas did.
I should just send Robert out to harvest those, he finds a lot more than I ever do. The bees weren't too thrilled that, in harvesting beans this morning, I was interrupting their breakfast. One was close enough, as I stuck my hand into the vines, that I felt the wind of its wings on my arm.
I'm finding I have to continually stake up our plants, they are so big and laden with veggies.
We like to attribute that to the great compost that we put in the garden this year. There aren't any pictures of my tomato plants because they don't look too pretty.
We had some problems with too much water a few weeks ago. They have recovered and we are getting plenty of tomatoes too - we love that! But, most of the plants have fallen over (even with tomato cages) because the plants are so big and heavy and full of tomatoes. We'll have to reevaluate supporting them next year.
We lost a jalapeno plant (I don't know why), but the one that has survived is still producing plenty!
I'm learning to wait on my potatoes until the fall (I wonder how late it will be) and I've been guiding our watermelon to grow where I want it to go. I can't wait to eat our carrots, they are so sweet straight out of the garden.
Below is the harvest from this morning (the beans are two days worth - but I'm sure there is double that hiding from me).
I'm learning how to better preserve our crop and have been doing a lot of chopping and freezing.
I'm glad I've been utilizing our garden better this year than last.
Garden fresh is the best!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! Your graden is amazing! I'm so jealous.

Charis said...

Stunning pictures and the food looks delicious! I second Shannon's comment about being jealous ;-)