Thursday, February 18, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons Make . . . . . Taffy?

So, I was making my Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie (click on that for the post with the recipe) and got my sugars in the pot to bring to a boil. As happens in my life, I got distracted - thinking I could quickly do something before the sugars started boiling.
When I got back to the pot, it was boiling away and since I didn't know how long it had been boiling I let it go one more minute.
That was one minute too long.
When I tried to pour some into my eggs (to warm up my eggs before mixing them in the sugars) it hardened to the cup measure.
What to do with a pot of over boiled sugar?
Make Taffy!
I buttered up a cookie sheet and poured out the mixture. I showed the kids how to butter up their hands and pull the taffy until it was opaque and satiny.
I can't believe I had never pulled taffy with my kids before! I remember doing this with honey, growing up.Now we can pop a little bit of sweetness in our mouths whenever we want.
Oh, I did redo the syrup and made the pecan pie - staying at the stove that time.
And, I can say that, while the saying goes "a watched pot never boils," an unwatched pot boils faster than you'd like!

1 comment:

JenB said...

It's been forever since we've pulled taffy, I don't know if we've done it with the kids. I remember how hard it could be to pull, my hands and fingers would get SO tired!