Thursday, August 7, 2008

First Day of School











A week before school started, I started getting the kids up at 7am. After three days Jake was so tired he could hardly keep it together at the end of the day. Two days before school started, I got the kids up at 6:30am. They were getting use to the early mornings.
On the first day of school I got them up at 6am. The bus came at 6:50am last year and I had no idea what to expect this year, so I wanted to be ready.
The day before school started we went to find out who their teachers were and to get Alyssa's schedule for middle school. The kids set out their first day outfits the night before, breakfast was planned and backpacks were filled. Jake was so excited to ride the bus to school and to go to kindergarten. Natalie was excited to be going back to school and had a "been there, done that" calmness towards her first day. Alyssa was excited about everything middle school was going to be and nervous at the same time.

The elementary school bus came at 7am (I can let them sleep in a little longer now). All the other elementary school kids on the street were out in their driveways waiting for the bus and talking across the road to each other (the bus stops at each house, no group bus stop). Logan woke up after Natalie and Jake left, but I brought him downstairs in time to see the bus stop across the street to pick up another student. He smiled at the bus and waved bye when I told him Jake and Natalie were on the bus.


The middle school bus came about 1/2 hour later to pick up Alyssa. Robert said I embarrassed her without her even knowing by taking the picture of her getting on the bus. Robert pointed out the "men" (the high school student ride the same bus as middle school) sitting in the back of the bus were watching me take Alyssa's "first day of school" picture and seeing her mom, dad and baby brother in the driveway watching her leave and waving good-bye.


After Alyssa left Logan turned to have Robert hold him. He wouldn't let go. Everyone else had left, he wanted dad to stay! Maybe with no one else at home all day I'll become a favorite once again!


The first day is over! The bus ride home was hot and Jake almost fell asleep. Everyone loved their first day and was glad it was over. Soon the routine will be old hat. The house is much quieter and after my bit of anxiety about Jake being in full day kindergarten I'm good. The kids all love their teachers already. Alyssa's new favorite subjects are Math and Science!
Let the learning begin!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I think it's great that you take pictures! I actually found an old home video about waiting for the bus on my first day of 2nd grade, and it was really fun to watch. It was interesting to see the great 80's styles and how my siblings and I interacted at a young age. Your kids will love the pictures when they get older....and probably have a good laugh at what they were wearing!

aaron and allee said...

I can't believe that school starts so early there! That is really great the bus will stop at each house instead of having everyone meet at one spot together.