Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Meeting A President

- I'm catching up with our trip - so make sure you catch all of my posts -
After making it to my parents house, we had a fun weekend with family (my sister Amy even surprised the kids - I knew about it - by coming out for a long weekend while we were here).
This past Monday we went with my mom down to my grandma's house. Although it was empty, in so many ways, without her there - I loved having a chance to see all the things that reminded me of my grandparents and it brought back so many memories of the time I did get to spend with them, growing up and bring my children to visit when we made it out to Missouri.
On the way back to my parents house, we (Amy came with us, but my mom went straight home) stopped by the Harry S. Truman library and museum (in Independence, MO - in between my parents and grandparents home). My in-laws had stopped by while driving through Missouri once, and said it was really good.
It was REALLY GOOD!
They have a recreation of the oval office, exactly as it was during Truman's presidency. They had some recreations (like the drapes) and a lot of actual furniture and items that he had at the White House.
They had a great introductory movie about his life and had a lot of interactive exhibits throughout the museum. I hadn't really expected to spend a whole lot of time there (it was almost lunch time), but the kids didn't get bored - with any of it.
After going around the main level of the museum (1 1/2 hours later), I remembered that there was a lower level where the kids could color campaign buttons. They had an even better interactive (and geared even more towards children) exhibits on the lower level. Another hour quickly went by.
It was great to learn about that time in our nations history and the national and international events and issues the president had to deal with during his presidency.
It was well worth stopping by! I wonder if all presidential libraries/museums are that good.
I didn't see a sign that said "don't" hug the statue - so if we weren't allowed, don't tell anyone!
2 1/2 hours later (after rushing through the lower level exhibits), we made it home for lunch after 3pm.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Your vacation sounds like so much fun! I'm going to have to see how long the drive would be for us. I'm sure a little too long. Thanks for sharing it with us.