So, the plan was to move the girls into the bigger bedroom in the back - before school started. We had decided on how we wanted to paint it, but things got busy and painting got put off. Finally, the week before school started, we got all our supplies and began.
The room started out brown. Kind of a chocolate milk brown - but enough that when I mentioned the color to the people at the paint counter, they said "brown? yes, prime it!"
Sorry to all you "earth tone" lovers. I DON'T like brown rooms. Give me color, make the room bright and fun - and I have a whole house to use!
I had moved everything out and taped the walls before I realized I hadn't taken a "before" picture. And, the only one of the room I do have is when we were looking at houses before we moved and it isn't a very good shot of what it looked like. Sorry.
I was really nervous to even buy the paint. The last time I painted was in 1991 - the stairway and hall in my parents house. Now it was for me (ok, the girls) and I had in my mind what I wanted it to look like. Once the paint was mixed and the guy opened the lids to show us, I got excited.
Natalie and Alyssa helped through the whole process.
Even Jake wanted his turn at the roller (before now rollers were only known as playthings, now he got to use them for real).
I did the edges, a quick second coat to get any lighter spots, sponging the green up into the purple and the stencils up high.
We got some wood flowers and butterflies to add some dimension. And stenciled butterflies, dragonflies, and flowers in about 6 different colors of paint.
(a close up of some detail)
It looked so good (yes, just how I pictured it) that I almost hated to put the girls beds and dressers in. But, tonight they are in their new room.
The puff quilt is one my mother-in-law made years ago that we have possession of (Lara, I think you might have claim to it, but we'll wait until Halle is older). It's beautiful and works out quite nicely.
Now I'm excited to hurry up with the plans for the bonus room, off their room, that we are going to make into a study room - the "Dawg House" - red, white and black paw prints around the edges. But I'll pace myself.
Sorry to all you "earth tone" lovers. I DON'T like brown rooms. Give me color, make the room bright and fun - and I have a whole house to use!
I had moved everything out and taped the walls before I realized I hadn't taken a "before" picture. And, the only one of the room I do have is when we were looking at houses before we moved and it isn't a very good shot of what it looked like. Sorry.
I was really nervous to even buy the paint. The last time I painted was in 1991 - the stairway and hall in my parents house. Now it was for me (ok, the girls) and I had in my mind what I wanted it to look like. Once the paint was mixed and the guy opened the lids to show us, I got excited.
Natalie and Alyssa helped through the whole process.
Even Jake wanted his turn at the roller (before now rollers were only known as playthings, now he got to use them for real).
I did the edges, a quick second coat to get any lighter spots, sponging the green up into the purple and the stencils up high.
We got some wood flowers and butterflies to add some dimension. And stenciled butterflies, dragonflies, and flowers in about 6 different colors of paint.
(a close up of some detail)It looked so good (yes, just how I pictured it) that I almost hated to put the girls beds and dressers in. But, tonight they are in their new room.
The puff quilt is one my mother-in-law made years ago that we have possession of (Lara, I think you might have claim to it, but we'll wait until Halle is older). It's beautiful and works out quite nicely.Now I'm excited to hurry up with the plans for the bonus room, off their room, that we are going to make into a study room - the "Dawg House" - red, white and black paw prints around the edges. But I'll pace myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment