Friday, April 16, 2010

Gardening

Our garden is well underway. We've dug in and built up and planted.
We started our tomato plants from seed this year - I'm use to seeing large plants with flowers on them already - so this has been different, and Robert wants to plant them all (that's my project this afternoon/weekend). I'll have to get my jars ready and Robert better be ready to make some salsa!
We added some more strawberries this year. Our strawberry from last year (in the foreground) is big and has lots of flowers. We hope to have most of our top terrace strawberries!
Robert lashed together a trellis out of our privet for the peas. They are coming up nicely.
He also got some raised beds - we should have gotten more, I love them and can see why people garden that way. We have lettuce and sweet onions going and recently planted red potatoes in two others.
I got the peppers planted earlier this week - jalapeno (2 plants), and one each of red, yellow, and green bell peppers. Our peppers did really well last year, once we had the deer netting up and they had a chance to grow instead of being eaten. Surprisingly, deer love peppers, especially jalapenos - leaves, peppers, and all.
Our deer netting was the first thing to go up!
Once I get the tomatoes in and plant some squash and cucumber, I think we'll be set for a while.
Our lettuce is already out of control and ready to harvest.
Salad, anyone?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Wow, you are so inspirational! We have a place ready for our garden but have yet to plant one. I need to get started! but I think it might be too late for Arizona. February was my planting month I think. Way to go! I'll take some salad.