Tuesday, May 3, 2011

More Berries

While we are enjoying our strawberries, nightly with dinner and sent in school lunches, we don't get quite the quantity needed for jam.
So, we set off last week for Washington Farms.
It was a gorgeous day! sunny but cool with a storm coming in.We brought our two buckets to fill - enough for two batches of jam and extras to eat.
You don't have to walk far to quickly fill the buckets.We paired up and were done in no time.
With so many to choose from, we like to have contests to see who can find the largest
or most oddly shaped strawberry.
We usually find large ones that look like baseball gloves and this year found a few that looked like utters! Really odd looking.
We were done so fast that we got to spend some time at the playground they have there.
Until I started getting bit by mosquitoes and we went home.
We did come to the conclusion that our strawberries are consistently sweeter than the ones we got at Washington Farms, but you can't beat homemade strawberry jam.
We'll have to make another trip soon!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yummy! I hear berries are about to be one of the joys of my New England life. I can hardly wait. It should be an exciting adventure for all of us. Sorry I've been a bad commenter lately. I do enjoy reading about your family so keep it up.