Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Last Child

There are many books on birth order and the pros and cons of each position.
I feel like there are areas in which I failed Logan - one being teaching him nursery rhymes and fairy tails.
Oh, we sang all the kid songs and read books, but by the time he was really listening and talking he was very much into playing Legos (in all forms - actual Legos, Lego Wii games, and Lego.com) with his brother. He can tell you all about Lego Ninjago and Lego city and Star Wars, but ask him about the three blind mice and he won't know what you're talking about.
So, I've been telling him stories - trying to catch up - so that when he goes to kindergarten in August he won't have a blank look on his face as they read The Three Billy Goats Gruff!
He really likes the one about Hansel and Gretel and I thought the perfect way to help solidify the story was to make a gingerbread house!
He calls it a Benjamin house.The kids enjoyed decorating it with the few things we have in the house. Logan wanted to make sure we had Hansel and Gretel there. I'll have to think of other tasty ways to teach him other stories.

4 comments:

Aloha_Misty said...

What a good idea Roslyn!

the fowlers said...

I have a strong belief in teaching through food. :)

JenB said...

while you can build a house out of Legos - you can't eat it after!

The Mixes said...

About a year ago Jared found a bunch of computer games, so my mom was helping him find a fun one to play. "Here's an Elmo game,"she said. "Who's Elmo?" Jared asked. Since then, we've taped Sesame Street on cable and read him a lot of fairytales.