Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sew Like The Wind!!

Alyssa's Aunt Heather asked her to sew a weighted blanket for her cousin, Parker, who has autism (they are the same age).
It is a therapeutic blanket and he loves the one they have at school.
It was also a perfect project for a Personal Progress goal.
I taught her some basic sewing skills, we went and picked out the fabric and thread, we studied the pattern and instructions, and began.
Here is the link to the site where we got the information.
We washed, cut, and pinned the fabric.
Here is Alyssa sewing the edges.
After turning it right side out, we marked columns and she sewed them up.
Once all the columns were done Alyssa measured out the weights . . . . . . to pour into each column.
And then I would sew the rows - it was a bit tricky for Alyssa to sew with the pellets. She got the next row of weights measured out - this really kept us moving along.
I would make a chalk mark for each row (I also had done this for the columns) so we could have the even 4" squares.
It went so quickly that we kept going and finished it - all the filling and sewing of rows, Alyssa had sewn up all the columns one evening last week.
(Logan had to stand next to Alyssa and show us his blanket)
The blanket turned out great!
Alyssa tested it out last night (before sending it off) and loved it. She didn't toss and turn and felt very calm and secure - a very restful night.
Both Alyssa and Robert want one.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go Alyssa! I've never heard of weighted blankets before. It looks like a great project.

Becky said...

Way to go, Alyssa! A great project! I want to hear more about this.

GeorgiaBecksteads said...

the weights are plastic pellets like you fill small dolls and stuffed animals with. I've added the link to the blog with the blanket info, pattern, and pellet link.