Monday, May 24, 2010

I Love Gardening!

I think I might be posting a lot about my garden - from prepping the garden, to growing, to harvesting. I actually think my first official post, this year, would have been about my (well, Robert's) compost back in March.
But, I love my garden!
And who would have thought after all the complaining I did growing up when we had to weed and take care of our family garden.

I love eating fresh peas every night with dinner. Although they are seriously camouflaged and I can think I found them all and Robert will come in and say - "we need to pick the peas for dinner", easily spotting 5-10 more!
I love the smell of tomato plants and seeing the tomatoes start to form.We're hoping for a bumper crop with the dozen plants we have.
I love smelling my basil and rosemary while I weed.
I love trying out new veggies like lettuce and onions and potatoes.I love seeing the plants grow and flower.
And the veggies ripen - our jalapenos can start being used and our bell peppers are looking great!I love learning how to do new things to better utilize my garden.
This past week I've been curing my sweet onions - how exciting is that! Thank you, youtube and some farmer in Louisiana.
I will do much better with them next year, now that I know how to grow them better (you'd think I'd learn before planting, but I've found my gardening over the last year and this is a live and learn endeavor).
Some of the onions didn't quite make it through the whole curing process - I needed an sweet onion pie!I don't even mind if I don't get any help tending and weeding, I don't ask for any.
I'm glad we can all enjoy in the eating.
I love being out in my garden.
I've sounded pretty possessive with calling it MY garden and saying how much I love it.
I must give major kudos to Robert for building the terraces and turning the compost and help with deciding on veggies and the planting.
My children definitely have their chores, but the garden is mine.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I cannot tell you how jealous I am! The garden looks great and that onion pie looks delicious! I'm so impressed.