Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back in Missouri

We have made it back to Georgia. It is good to be home after being gone for so long. We were back in Missouri for the Lehnardt reunion. Robert had to be back at work and flew home directly from Utah. We had a few days before the reunion to visit my grandmother, see the Visitor's Center in Independence, MO and play with cousins.























Once the "official" reunion weekend came around we spent a full day at Worlds of Fun - the amusement park in Kansas City. It had stormed the night before and was overcast that morning. There was hardly anyone there and short, if any waits, in line - great for a Friday. Alyssa was tall enough to go on all the rides and spent the day with the other cousins and some aunts and uncles on the roller coasters. She went on every one. She would be nervous at the beginning and once it was over would say how awesome the ride was. We took the train around the park and then went to the kiddie rides.

I stayed with Natalie, Jake and Logan and the younger cousins and moms and grandma in Camp Snoopy (the kiddie area).


Jake ended up hiding behind me to get around the large Peanuts characters.


I was surprised Logan stayed in the airplane. He went on some of the rides and even took a nap during part of the day.


Kiddieland's answer to the Detonator (the ride that shoots you up and then free falls), this ride bounced up and down to various levels. The cousins loved it and rode it a bunch of times in a row before being convinced to try something else.


Logan loved this horse ride (it might not look that way only because I caught the picture as he was closing his eyes). Later he rode the horses again three times in a row because he was the only one on it.

Jake and his cousin Jay LOVED the Wacky Worm (the kiddie roller coaster). I love this picture because it is the ultimate expression of true childhood happiness on Jake's face. With few people on the ride, the boys rode continually a bunch of times. They would hold up their hands as they went down the little hill and bumped around on the track. They would move to the back car or other cars to allow others to ride the front car. When they gave up the front car, they would tell the people how fun the front is. I went on this with Logan when we first got there. He liked it until we went down the hill and bumped around a bit. To that he said, "ow". Later when Jake and Jay were riding, Logan thought he wanted to go again. I would take him with me into a seat and as we waited to get our seatbelt checked he would realize were he was and want to get off.

Around 5pm (I'm amazed the kids lasted so long), my mom took the boys back home for dinner and bed - along with some other younger cousins and their moms. I was able to stay with Natalie and Alyssa and other siblings and niece and nephews to ride the big kid rides. I realized that it had been 7 years since I had been on a roller coaster. It was a blast. You can get me on anything.

Above is the Patriot, which hangs you down from the track. I am on the ride at that moment - Alyssa took the picture. Below is the Timber Wolf's (the wooden rollercoaster) "Chicken Exit" for last minute "I don't think so"s. Eddie decided to save his stomach for another ride.



It rained on and off the next day, putting a damper on the outdoor activities planned. Instead we went to the community center and played games and went swimming. My cousin Julie and her family, who live close by, came up for part of the day and is was so fun to see her. After we all went out to dinner at the Olive Garden - 30 people total!! The manager came up and thanked my parents for choosing Olive Garden for our group!

Logan's first full and articulated name was "Tom". Logan would readily go to Thomas when he saw him - nice for me! He readily goes to pretty much all his uncles - really nice for me! (Sorry if the picture looks a bit funny, I was adjusting for the dark original and red eyes)


It was wonderful to be with all the family again (minus James and his family who had recently moved to El Paso, while he is in training with the army, and couldn't make it back - we missed seeing you!). A wonderful weekend.
Eddie helped drive me and the children back to Georgia (coming out for some business in the area before flying back to MO). After being gone for so long, I had to look twice when I opened my eyes in the morning and found myself in my own room. I had slept great! We are still adjusting back to our time zone, but there is still a few more weeks before school!

1 comment:

Mike and Susie Stark Family said...

Hey!! We went to the visitor's center too! Check it out soon at our blog!