Friday, July 25, 2008

Sweet Blueberry Pie


We went blueberry picking last week (see other post) and the blueberry cobbler went over very well. Jake has been asking for blueberry pie. I made one yesterday. I forgot how much I love fresh blueberry pie and thought I would share the recipe.

1. Make and bake your favorite crust. Let it cool.

A funny side note - I don't make good pie crusts, I go for the refrigerated in a roll type and this time was no different. It turned out really good and flaky and mentioned that this was my best crust (even with premade refrigerated rolled dough, it doesn't always turn out). Robert agreed and when I mentioned the it was premade dough he laughed. He thought I had made it from scratch. A second side note - Robert is the one that makes good pie crusts from scratch.
Now back to the pie.

FILLING:
1/4 c. cold water
1/4 c. cornstarch
3/4 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
6 c. fresh blueberries, washed and dried, divided
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/8 tsp salt

In a medium saucepan, combine cold water and cornstarch; mix until smooth. Add boiling water, sugar and 3/4 c. blueberries; stir. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture boils, about 10 minutes. Simmer on low heat, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice, butter and salt; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in remaining blueberries; let cool. Pour into crust. Chill until set, about 3 hours. Can serve with whipped cream.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Gary and Marjo said...

No fair!!! Blueberries are my favorite fruit but they are soooo expensive. I can't believe you just went out and picked them and then actually had enough to make a pie. When is blueberry season? We need to do some serious planning when we schedule our next trip.
(this is my second posting. I wasn't smart enough to do the "word verification" the first time, but I'm finally figuring it out)