The river has receded. (see "We're 'Singin' In The Rain'" 10/14) It actually went down pretty quickly, back into its original banks and out of the woods, a couple of days after I took the pictures of the water by the woodpile.
But, there has been some environmental impact. Most notably the new sandbar we have at the end of the island.
The only picture I could find, of a similar angle, was from our first summer here (notice how young Natalie looks). But you can tell how huge the sandbar is!
I could see the sandbar extending out, keeping the water shallow, towards our shore side until about half way.
The tree hanging over the river, close to Natalie, is the broken one in the picture of the sandbar. The tree at the end of the island is the same.
Our last two summers the river has been even lower. Even though you can't see the island in the picture with Logan (taken this past summer), you can tell that the river is a lot lower than the almost knee deep on a 7 year old Natalie.
We are hoping for a warm day and the river to go down a bit more so we can go across and play!
I'm hoping at least most of it will last until next summer, but Robert doubts it.
It's amazing what some rain, and flooding brings down river!
But, there has been some environmental impact. Most notably the new sandbar we have at the end of the island.
The only picture I could find, of a similar angle, was from our first summer here (notice how young Natalie looks). But you can tell how huge the sandbar is!I could see the sandbar extending out, keeping the water shallow, towards our shore side until about half way.
The tree hanging over the river, close to Natalie, is the broken one in the picture of the sandbar. The tree at the end of the island is the same.Our last two summers the river has been even lower. Even though you can't see the island in the picture with Logan (taken this past summer), you can tell that the river is a lot lower than the almost knee deep on a 7 year old Natalie.
We are hoping for a warm day and the river to go down a bit more so we can go across and play!I'm hoping at least most of it will last until next summer, but Robert doubts it.
It's amazing what some rain, and flooding brings down river!
No comments:
Post a Comment