Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Concert

Last week was Alyssa's Fall Chorus Concert.
She wanted me to curl her hair. We went to work on it right when she got home from school - we only had 1/2 hour. I, who have never styled hair before, tried a few things and, by the time I got to the top part, had it down ok. I told Alyssa not to expect much, but she said she had the "dream hair" she's always wanted.
I really needed my sister-in-law, Nysje, here to do it and teach me. I think she'll need to come visit. (hint)
This year, along with being in the 7th grade chorus group, she is also in Decatens - a group she tried out for in the beginning of the year. It is made up of chorus students from all grades that sing mostly acapella. They meet before school twice a week to practice.
The concert was great. Her grade has really improved. The Decatens learned a 3 part arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner. I was hoping to video it (low battery prevented that), but it was amazing. They'll sing it at all the school basketball games during the season.

This past Saturday, Alyssa also had her first experience going to an All-State competition for singing. She stayed after school to practice - learning a song, practicing scales, sight reading and tonal memory (repeating a given sequence of notes played on the piano). I would have been a lot more nervous auditioning than she was. She'll find out her score in school on Tues. It was a good experience for her. One that she looks forward to next year.

2 comments:

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

Roslyn, you did a great job on her hair! She looks beautiful (and grown up)... Watch out mom:)

RitzFamilyHappenings said...

Yay Alyssa! Her hair looks great. What a beautiful young women she is!