Thursday, May 14, 2009

First Harvest!

After Robert did an amazing job on the terracing for our garden, I couldn't wait to plant.
One day, back in April, I just had to get some plants and got some herbs, strawberries (special requested by Jake), a couple of tomato plants, and the two cabbage plants Natalie brought home from school. We went through some cold spells and I had to cover my young plants from the freezing night temperatures. The basil had a rough go, and we thought we lost it, but it's making a comeback.
Once it warmed up for good, we planted some more - more tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cucumber, 1 zucchini (that's all you ever need!), and another strawberry plant ( special requested by Jake).
Then we finished up about a week ago by planting seeds for carrots, tomatillos, red bell pepper, watermelon, and pumpkin. And added in some more herbs.
We are beginning to see the fruits of our labors!
(the top terrace is herbs and strawberries, the bottom has our veggies and watermelon. The dirt area is were the seeds have be planted)
Today, Jake got to harvest his first strawberry. It was so hard to wait for it to ripen to perfection - but it was worth it!
We have tomatoes on the first plants and everything else it taking off. One of our watermelon seeds is already poking up as well!
We are excitedly looking forward to harvesting the rest of our garden as it comes in.
Salsa anyone?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wonderful! I so badly want a garden, but my dogs dig up anything and everything I plant back there. Even when I fenced it, they found a way in to destroy it. Sniff sniff. So I had to settle for some plantings in pots, but I can't have such a spacious garden. Yours looks beautiful! *Jeni*