Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Natalie!

Natalie joined our family 9 years ago: May 12, 2000!!
We were in Houston when Natalie was born and had some Chinese friends who were so excited for us. She was born in the Chinese year of the Golden Dragon. I was even lent a book about a Golden Dragon child so I would know what a wonderful and challenging child she would be.
She is a happy, sweet, tender hearted, fun, bubbly girl, a true friend, and leader. She will also call your bluff and when she was younger, my saying "no" meant, to her, that I wasn't going to do it for her but she could still do it herself. :) And if you read any of the characteristics about children born in a Dragon year, especially a Golden Dragon year, you will understand Natalie a bit more - it really does a pretty good job!
Natalie started out her day with monkey bread for breakfast and a phone call from her dad (he woke up at 4:30am! to call her from UT). She picked her favorite dinner - chicken enchiladas and got her favorite orange soda for her drink. We had picked strawberries the day before and Alyssa wanted strawberry pie. Natalie loves strawberries, but not strawberry pie. She said I could make it though and her birthday dessert would be a bowl of strawberries, sprinkled with a bit of sugar.
She loved all her gifts - a robe, calendar, flowers to plant, and a hat.
After the early birthday dinner, we had to rush to Alyssa's middle school award night (thanks Rachel for watching the boys - they would not have had fun). Alyssa has done really well at school this year. We are proud of all the hard work she has done. She got awards from chorus, social studies, and for an above 90 average all year. I took the girls for ice cream after to celebrate - good, hard work and birthday!

1 comment:

Laura said...

How funny, my son will be 9 years old tomorrow. Also a Golden Dragon, I will have to check that out. He is a sweetheart, and seems to be an old soul. Very interesting. He was born on Mother's Day, 9 years ago tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.