Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Garden

I love working outside and I love my garden.
I get very impatient between planting and harvesting time.
We had initially planned on being gone for about a month this summer, so I didn't plant a whole bunch - just the things we love.
We always plant LOTS of tomatoes of many varieties. I'm sad my yellow pear tomatoes have never worked here in Georgia - we had so many in UT.
But all tomatoes are wonderful and we have started enjoying fresh tomatoes with breakfast, lunch, and dinner!I have two tomato plants that I put in about a month before the bulk of my tomato plants. So, as we are starting to eat from those first two plants, we are eagerly awaiting the other tomatoes that will be starting to color in a couple of week!
I tried out some chocolate cherry tomatoes this year. I can't wait to taste them!
We also love cucumbers and they always do really well. We like the little 3 inch kind that is seedless.
We usually can't keep up with our cucumber plants, so friend and neighbors get to enjoy them as well.
We love having fresh bell peppers. We've also planted Anaheim and Jalapenos for salsa!
My sweet onions had a rough start with kids and the dog in the garden, but they are coming along now.
I found some red basil this year and added it to my regular basil plants. It's fun to try out something new - same yummy taste with a different color.
I was excited to see some blueberries this year - just a few, but last year we didn't have any.
I've been eating them when I weed, as they've ripened. A few more years and they'll be producing really well!
I am so excited for my dwarf pomegranate plant I ordered this spring. It started out as a bunch of twigs with roots, but now it is flowering and beautiful.
I'll keep it potted for now and maybe next year, so Izzy won't run over it.
I'm already planning next year and am excited about digging the new batch of compost into the bottom terrace of the garden.
Gardening makes me happy!

1 comment:

Aloha_Misty said...

I agree! I can't wait to get my hands in some soil!