After missing the raspberries last season, I started hounding the berry farm as soon as June hit.
I had to wait, June 15th was their opening day and we were there!
I had to wait, June 15th was their opening day and we were there!
Buffalo Creek Berry Farm is my favorite! They have peaches - all summer, raspberries, and the best blueberries ever!I woke the kids up early (minus Alyssa who is at girls camp and Jake who was spending the day with his friend), and got there about an hour after they opened.
Logan, after being woken up early, wanted to stay in the car (too far away) and leaned on me moaning that he was tired and wanted to go home, while I was trying to pick berries. Not the best thing for someone who doesn't have the best balance, especially while leaning over trying to pick berries.
After a while, I got out my camera and told him to hold a bucket and smile.
That did the trick - odd - but he started happily picking berries. After a good covering on the bottom of the bucket he said he was tired and was taking a break.Once I said "ouch," I had scratched my hand on the thorns, and Logan asked what happened. When I told him he said - "I'm only picking the ones on the outside." He also doesn't like getting juice on his hands - it makes them red (something he is going through lately - doesn't like things like icees or suckers coloring his tongue either). So he picked very slowly and carefully.
We didn't have to move around very much - there were berries all over!
With just Natalie and Logan and me picking berries, it took us almost 2 hours to fill all our buckets (we were also picking for two families that couldn't make it).
But we finally finished! 4 1/2 gallons later. Some have been frozen, there have been two batches of jam (3 if you count my blackberry batch), and some left over for fruit crepes tonight!While we were there a photographer for the local paper was taking pictures. Natalie said we'd have to get the paper when they printed the story since we'd be in it. I told her that they take lots of pictures and we might be on the pictures on line (they put most of them there), but we wouldn't be in the paper.
The next day Robert called to tell me we were on the front page!!
There were other pictures with the on-line version as well. The link is here.
In a way I didn't want them to publish a story on my favorite berry farm - others might pick all my berries!
We'll go next week for blueberries - once Alyssa and Jake are around to help - I need my year's supply!
No comments:
Post a Comment